When the weather is great there is nothing better than working in the garden, feeling the sun on your skin (don't forget the sunscreen) and sharing tasty food with friends outside. It is even better when you can enjoy fruit and vegetable dishes from your own garden. That is why we have joined forces with the Dutch vegetable chef Jonathan Karpathios. Together, we have developed four delicious recipes which you can enjoy all summer long, and beyond. Like this cucumber granita*.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 600 ml freshly squeezed cucumber juice
- 2 limes
- 4 tsp honey
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 stems celery
- You will also need: a juicer
1. Peel the cucumber and the celery and place them in the juicer. Add the vinegar, honey and lime juice to the juice. Season with cayenne salt and pepper.
2. Place in the freezer in a flat dish and drag a fork through it every 15 minutes. Garnish with some mint to highlight the freshness of the granita
The fresh acids will neutralise your taste buds with just three spoonfuls of the ice-cold granita so that you can perfectly enjoy the next course.
Jonathan on the cucumber granita
Nice tip: “serve the granita after the aperitif or as an entremets before the dessert.”
Grani-tic: “use the cucumber granita to make a tasty aperitif by placing a couple spoonfuls in a glass and adding a splash of gin or vodka.”
Take a look at the other three recipes
* But remember: never attempt to eat a (cut) flower or plant. Make sure you only use edible flowers from specialized vendors that are grown for consumption.